Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for From the Bottom Up From the Bottom Up: Why IGN Sucks Part: I

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Why IGN Sucks Part: I

I have been reading my video game news on the web for sometime now and with so many sites out there it's hard to find reliable, well written sources of news. Since I started school I noticed that most of my fellow game design students get their news from one site in particular. This website is internet gaming giant IGN. I must say however that I whole hardly disagree with this popular opinion. Today I bring you the first part of my 4 part series "Why IGN Sucks "

Reason Number 1: The way they list their news.

I'm a busy guy so when reading the news I like to be able to see exactly what is new and what is old. IGN's news story browser has no dates so it's impossible to tell what is new and what is old especially if you haven't checked in a while or on weekends. They also list multiple stories for multiple platforms.

Example: From today's IGN news page.

China Joyful Over PS3
PS3
MS Japan Prez Comments on HD-DVD, PS3
XBOX360
Release Date Revision (July 31, 2006)
PSP
Release Date Revision (July 31, 2006)
PS2
New Guitar Hero II Tracks Announced
PS2
E3 Cancelled?
PC
E3 Cancelled?
GBA
E3 Cancelled?
Wireless
E3 Cancelled?
WII
E3 Cancelled?
PS3
E3 Cancelled?
XBOX360
E3 Cancelled?
DS
E3 Cancelled?
PSP
E3 Cancelled?
PS2
E3 Cancelled?
Xbox
E3 Cancelled?

Why not just list one story and call it multi platform or something. Maybe list the system's they concern in the margin. I dunno but seeing but 10 of the exact same stories is ridiculous.
Check back later for reason number 2 as to Why IGN Sucks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ashton Patterson said...

Man, I'm glad someone agrees! Although IGN has had lots of success, but it's so cluttered! And I hate the splash advertisements that appear on every other page you navigate too!

Instead of complaining I created my own site
as in the URL
but it's just like every other independent gaming website out there.

10:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Ashton Patterson said...

Oh u have to click my name in the first comment to see my site. This comment thing is tricky!

10:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home