Blog Flux LinkLog: Outgoing Link Logging and Click Tracking for From the Bottom Up From the Bottom Up: Is Sony committing Suicide?

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Is Sony committing Suicide?

These days Sony seems to sound more like depressed teenager looking for attention good or bad, than a computer software giant. Now don't get me wrong I am extremely excited to see what the PS3 can do but Sony is throwing a lot of lofty promises in the air, my question is can they deliver?

If there is one thing I have learned about industries including but not limited to the game industry, is that they move in circles. Me and my fellow novice game designers have noticed that Sony seems to be acting a lot like Nintendo did 10 years ago when they were on top of the global console market. Overconfidence is not a trait that consumers normally respond to. Sony is of the frame of mind that "Hey we're Sony we can do whatever we want and charge whatever we want and people will still buy our products." This has been Microsoft's corporate philosophy for many years now. Microsoft has a lot more going for them than Sony does. Like complete control over the global computer software market.

I don't really want to get into the PS3's price too much but it doesn't take a genius to see that 650$ CND is ridiculous. I even though the Xbox 360's launch price was a bit to high. This being the main reason I do not have one in my possession as of yet but as the days go on I do see myself wanting a 360 more and more.

If Sony can deliver on all it's promises than the PS3 will be an awesome piece of hardware but otherwise I don't think that many people will be shilling out 650$ for fancy looking Blueray player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home